Position Overview: The Director is one of two staff persons responsible for implementing and managing state legislative, regulatory, and grassroots activities of NAPEO through traveling to individual states as directed by the Senior Director of State Government Affairs.
Position Requirements: Must have excellent organizational, negotiating, verbal and written communication skills. Must have experience with legislative and regulatory processes common to state governments and a working knowledge of lobbying strategies, ethics restrictions and requirements. Must have the ability to handle multiple and demanding tasks simultaneously on tight deadlines. Must have the ability to travel frequently (approximately 40 percent) to states to lobby on behalf of NAPEO. Must have the ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with NAPEO members, NAPEO staff, government officials, lobbyists, and consultants and the ability to determine what issues are important to the membership. Must have prior state government, state lobbying or trade association experience. Knowledge of state insurance laws, state health laws and state implementation of the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act, as well as relationships with state insurance departments and state health departments and HHS, a plus. Knowledge and understanding of industry operations and trends preferred. Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
Positively affect policy/change in targeted states each year:
- Assist in the development of a strategic plan for priority states for the year and three-year plan for long-range planning.
- Develop, manage, and implement a strategic plan for targeted states.
- Respond swiftly and effectively to unexpected legislative and regulatory developments to protect industry interests and improve the regulatory climate if possible.
- Draft regulatory or legislative initiatives and communications, including legislation, regulations, amendments, formal comments, and communications with decision makers on behalf of NAPEO.
- Develop and implement grassroots communication strategies for targeted states.
- Develop grassroots educational and training materials for targeted states.
- Prepare correspondence and deliver testimony to state legislative and regulatory bodies expressing the industry’s concerns and positions on relevant issues.
- Represent NAPEO and PEO industry at hearings, meetings and conferences as official voice of industry on government affairs-related issues.
- Assist with selection, hiring and supervision of retained lobbyists in specific states.
- Develop written materials for use by state lobbyists representing NAPEO.
- Coordinate outreach efforts with NAPEO allies (e.g., state chambers of commerce, NFIB chapters, and other general business groups) to build coalitions on priority issues for all targeted states.
Develop and manage active member involvement in NAPEO state government affairs:
- Serve as NAPEO contact for PEO members with regard to state legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Work with NAPEO’s Government Affairs Committee and leadership councils in individual states to develop and maintain strong working relationship between NAPEO staff and membership.
- Attend in person leadership council forums in the states and give presentations on state government affairs and the importance of grassroots lobbying and individual involvement for targeted states.
- Provide assistance, guidance, and training to members and leadership councils with regard to grassroots development, lobbying activities, and government affairs initiatives.
- Develop materials for lobbyists and members to use with legislators and regulators on general PEO topics and issues.
General administration and other duties as assigned:
- Coordinate legal and technical government affairs comments with NAPEO’s Government Affairs team.
- Assist with and supervise tracking of state bills and regulatory activities performed by Legislative Assistant.
- Regularly review NAPEO’s regulatory database for assigned states. Advise General Counsel on areas for improvement or change.
- Coordinate updates to NAPEO’s Members-Only web page with current government affairs documents and current events.
- As appropriate, assist the Senior Director of State Government Affairs and Vice President of Federal Government Affairs in federal legislative affairs.
About NAPEO: NAPEO provides educational services, business resources and government affairs for the growing professional employer organization (PEO) industry. Our membership includes more than 250 PEO companies, as well as 250associate (vendor/service partner) member companies. NAPEO provides a comprehensive suite of benefits for full time employees including health, dental, vision, 401k, flex spending, generous PTO, free parking, and more. EOE.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to Daniel Harris, senior director of state government affairs.
The above responsibilities are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties of the position described. They are intended only to describe the general nature of the job, and are a reasonable representation of its activities.